Friday, March 9, 2012

Mar 9, 2012: Erv's Field Notes #26



Geese over the north lake at sunrise, 3/6/12 (Kevin Kane)


Friday, March 9, 2012. 1:00-2:00 pm. Clear, bright sunshine. Temperature: 38-41 degrees F. Slight breeze.

I have not been to the park for several days. I have been following Kevin Kane's blog and daily photo--really nice. The ice is completely gone from the lakes. About 200 Canada Geese were on the south lake along with a variety of ducks. I identified 3 Cackling Geese, 10 Red-Headed Ducks, a pair of Pintail, a pair of Wigeon, 6 Ring-necked Ducks, a pair of Gadwall, Mallard (about 20) and Lesser Scaup (about 10).

Other birds: a Red-tailed Hawk, many Crows, and one Red-winged Blackbird male in fresh plumage. This is the first Redwing I have seen this year although I am sure some have been around all winter.

Last Monday, March 5, I saw a half-dozen Turkey Vultures circling near Grand Avenue and 15th Street. For many years, I have noted that Turkey Vultures returned to the pine grove near Ames High School on or about March 23. March 5 is a very early record for this species.

You can see Kevin's latest blog at: http://adahaydenpark.blogspot.com/2012/03/mar-8-2012-information-item.html

Erv Klaas

No comments:

Post a Comment