Monday, June 25, 2012

June 24, 2012: Wolf's Field Notes, 6/22/12















Halloween Pennant, 6/22/12 (Wolf Oesterreich)

The Halloween Pennant above was my first one of the year. (We missed it yesterday (6/21) during the Odonate walk.) It was found at the NE corner of Jensen Pond. They tend to perch high and are easily approached.

While looking at Odonates at the SW corner, I watched a family of American Mink (♀ with 4 kits) work their way along the shoreline. They didn't notice my presence until 10 feet away. The mother scampered back but the kits kept on coming. By the time I got my camera out of the bag the kits were within 2 feet of me, although mostly hidden in the vegetation. I could hear them making noises and watched the rustling vegetation. I stood there in awe, forgetting to snap a photograph. By now the mother had rejoined them as they circumnavigated around me. I soon lost track of them. I'm assuming that the mother is the mink that Ev Klaas had been seeing.

Wolf


Wolfgang Oesterreich
Ames

No comments:

Post a Comment