Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jan 30, 2012: Swans


    Swans on south lake, Jan 2, 2012 -- Kevin Kane

Hello!
Just thought I should mention we saw 16 trumpeter swans yesterday (1/30/12) around 5:20 p.m. in the open water of the south lake.  Several adolescents were in the group, but it was difficult for me to distinguish more detail,  since I do not have a spotting scope. (I had been by the lake earlier in the day--around 3:30-- and at that time I counted 6 swans.) Several pairs of the swans were interacting with each other bobbing their heads and going through ritualistic steps. I was amazed at the loudness of their clapping wings  when the swans lifted up from the water and how perfectly their trumpeting carried over to the shore.  By 5:30, there were at least a “gazillion” of geese, of course, with huge lines coming in from the north .  Also:  a lovely mink scrambling among the rocks near the far southeast corner.

Zora Zimmerman


No comments:

Post a Comment