Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sep 15, 2012: Erv's Field Notes #43


Early morning mist and reflecting sunrise, looking west over the south lake, 9/15/12 (Kelly Poole)

Saturday, September 15, 2012, 1-3:30 pm, Temperature, 79 degrees F., slight southerly breeze, sunny. Beautiful day.

I parked on Harrison Street and scanned the middle ponds for birds and dragonflies. I saw a female mallard sitting near shore and a Great Blue Heron was wading in the middle pond. I then walked the fisherman's trail along the south shore of the south lake. I saw a female Common Green Darner flying over the Stonebrooke Prairie. Damselflies (all bluets) were perched on dead twigs scattered along the shoreline. I took a lot of photos and identified the species on the computer after I got home. I found male Familiar Bluets, Stream Bluets (both sexes), Double-striped Bluets, Orange Bluets, Tule Bluets and several Eastern Forktails.

If you have not looked at Kevin Kane's blog and photos that he posts almost daily you are missing a real treat. In addition to photos, Kevin also passes along my field notes and Wolf Oesterreich's photos and notes. The address is: http://adahaydenpark.blogspot.com.

Erv Klaas

No comments:

Post a Comment