Sunday, February 16, 2014

Feb 14, 2014: Swans








Trumpeter Swans over the south lake. 2/12/14 (Wolf. Oesterreich)

At 4:49pm, while finishing a lap around the main parking lot, I heard the sound of Trumpeter Swans.  I looked up and spotted 2 adults (7K4 and her “mate”) accompanied by an immature.  They flew in from the NE and headed towards the south lake.  When I reached the bridge I scanned the open water and found the three swans, so I decided to ride a fourth lap to reach the part of the trail opposite the open water.  Once there I retrieved my camera and started to shoot some photographs.  Suddenly, two more adults flew in, circled, and then landed on the ice, just south of the open water.  They trumpeted loudly and then stood up to each (and bobbing heads up-and-down) in what I would call a “greeting”.  They were so boisterous that the original two started to trumpet, too.  Then these two took flight, circled the south lake, and headed off to the SE, leaving the immature behind.  (I don’t believe that this immature belongs to 7K4.)  The remaining pair continued to trumpet for a few more minutes and then stopped.  They walked over to the open water and entered.

Wolf. Oesterreich

No comments:

Post a Comment